CAS Mix Up August 2017 Reminder

Hi there.  This is the mid-month reminder post for CAS Mix Up August challenge – Alcohol Inks (AI).

 

 

 

And here’s my card.

 

 

I still don’t own any of the traditional AIs, so my AI comes from my Copic markers.  The background was created using the acrylic block stamping technique.  Copic markers in gradient colours were scribbled across an acrylic stamping block, then spritz with alcohol, and stamped onto a Wonky Stitched Rectangle die cut from Neenah solar white cardstock.

 

 

The flowers and sentiment were stamped with the MISTI using Memento black ink.  A Copic Colorless Blender was then used to “remove” colour from parts of the flower that overlapped the background.  Technically, the Colorless Blender pushes away colour and desaturates the area, making it appear like it’s removing colour.  The flowers were then coloured with Copics.

 

 

A white gel pen was used to outline the sentiment to make it stamd out more.  With the stamps still in place in the MISTI, the flowers and sentiment were re-stamped with VersaMark and clear heat embossed.  Clear shimmer on the flowers and a few clear sequins finished off the card.  It was an easy make, so I made another colour version of it.

 

 

Linking to the following challenges:
Uniko#42 Flowers
Just Us Girls#406 Bring on the Shine (heat embossing, clear shimmer, sequins)

 

 

There is still time to get out those AIs and join the fun.  Thank you for stopping by.  Have a great day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Guest Designer for CAS Mix Up August 2017

 

 

Hello there!   I am so excited and honoured to be back as guest designer for CAS Mix Up August 2017 challenge.  This month it’s all about alcohol inks (AI).  To be honest, I was hoping it wouldn’t be AIs because I am not familiar with them and have only tried them twice.  But then I was given the green light for alcohol markers, which is something I do know, own and is my favourite colouring medium. 😊

 

 

I wanted to make a birthday card for my teammate Sarah P. whose birthday is tomorrow.  I’m not sure if she has received it yet.  I was going to colour up some floral images, but what I ended up making was a happy accident.  Back in May, I was fortunate to join Loll, Christine, Susan and Nancy for an afternoon at their retreat.  We did AI drops on yupo and my samples did not turn out as you can see 😉

 

 

Loll had mentioned that these can be sprayed with alcohol for a different look.  So that’s what I did, but I was doing too many things at once and had tilted the yupo piece causing the colours to streak down.  Since it was already looking better than my original 😂, I went with it and spritz some more and let it continue to run down until I was happy..

 

 

This gave a cool watercolour effect.  The top piece is what resulted from the before picture above.  The bottom one was the happy accident, so I never took the before pic of that one.  When I turned the bottom piece a quarter turn, I  saw water, which inspired me to create this.

 

 

I wanted to do a sort of aquarium scene, so a stitched circle was die cut on a white stitched rectangle.  The yupo piece was trimmed down and adhered behind.  The images were stamped with Intense Black ink, coloured with Copics then die cut out with the matching dies.  I also die cut a few more of the mermaid from white cardstock to stack for dimension.

 

 

The sentiment (a birthday & hello) was stamped with Archival black ink.  Whatever you do, do not heat emboss on yupo (did I mention I am a rookie with this 😂).  Lastly, clear shimmer was added to her top and tail to finish.

 

 

 

Hope you will join us this month.  Thank you for stopping by.  Have a great day!

 

 

 

 

 

I am heading over to the following challenges:
Muse#227 Anything Goes
SSS Flickr#76 Anything Goes. (used SSS stitched circle die, Intense Black ink)

 

 

 

Mother’s Day Water Lilly Card

With Mother’s Day fast approaching this Sunday, the Mother’s Day Challenge 94 from MarkerPop was perfect for getting my other Mother’s Day card completed.  And with wanting to keep my card simple, I combined that challenge with the May Heat Embossing Challenge for CAS Mix Up.

Mother's Day MarkerPop Challenge 94 and May CAS Mix Up Heat Embossing

For a little bit of interest, I die cut a stitched rectangle panel from hot press watercolor paper. I stamped the water Lilly with VersaMark and then heat embossed it with white embossing powder.  My choice for the CAS Mix Up challenge is watercoloring. To watercolor the image, I used my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. I find these markers work better on the smooth surface of hot press watercolor paper instead of the rough texture of cold press watercolor paper.

Mother's Day MarkerPop Challenge 94 and May CAS Mix Up Challenge

To color, I layed a bit of color to areas that would be darker, then used my water brush to pull the color and blend it out.  The raised embossed lines makes it easier to watercolor and prevents the colors from bleeding into each other.

Mother's Day MarkerPop Challenge 94 and May CAS Mix Up Challenge

Once again, I used my MISTI to stamp my sentiment.  Even though hot press watercolor paper is smooth, I still needed to stamp it twice to get a good impression.  To finish the card, I added some clear Wink of Stella to all the petals.

Mother's Day MarkerPop Challenge 94 and May CAS Mix Up Challenge.